Water retention, swelling, heat- lymphatic drainage
With the arrival of the warm season we start to feel more tired with heavy legs and sometimes swelled legs. All of this, can be a result of body retention of liquids.
Probable reasons for water retention:
The reasons for water retention can be various and different for each person; however the main
Reasons are the following:
- Heat– When the body is warm, the water is exuded from the blood vessels but the tissues cannot absorb it.
- Sedentary lifestyle– people who spend their days seated or in the same position without movement tend to retain more liquids.
- Salt- A rich salty diet favors water retention
- Hormonal dysfunctions- Especially on women during pregnancy, menstruation or menopause.
- Blood circulation- An abnormal blood circulation can prevent the regular liquids’ absorption.
How can we check if we have water retention?
One of the easiest ways to check it is to press firmly with a finger a part of the leg. If after releasing the finger, a mark stays in for more than few seconds it may means that we have bad blood
circulation or water retention.
What can we do?
- A good idea could be to reduce the intake of salty foods such as:
- Canned foods
- Cured Chesses
- Sparkling water
- Drinking water- it is important to drink enough water or foods that contain water such as:
- Water richer vegetables such as:
- Water melon
- Eat potassium rich foods as per example
- Consume more proteins such as:
- complex cereals
- It is also important to release more water naturally, therefore eating foods that have diuretic properties such as:
It is advisable to eat smaller meals to stabilize the blood glucose avoiding the substitution by the organism of cell’s sugar for water.
To improve the work of the venous system, it is important to exercise regularly and move more frequently when at work, limiting the time we spend seated or on foot.
If we already have water retention, raising our legs when in bed can help to limit the risk of venous edema. Avoiding heat can also help.
Physical exercise is very important since it helps blood circulation. Muscle’ movement improves oxygenation and blood vessels’ enlargement.
It is desirable to have a lymphatic drainage massage when suffering of water retention, the massage
improves the blood circulation helping the venous system in its work of depuration.
Estil Natural has experienced professionals that can meet the specific needs of the customers.
Here you can see an example of our work: